Friday, May 16, 2014

Sneak Peek 4: The Year Just Gone (2013)



Every year, C.M. Simpson gathers up the short stories, flash fiction and poetry she’s written, published, or prepared for publishing, and puts them into a single volume. This year, there are two volumes. The second volume consists of all the work produced, prepared for publication or published in 2013.

As C.M. explains at the beginning of each volume “poems and short stories form the playground I use to explore ways of putting words on paper to create different effects” and each volume contains a variety of styles and subjects, accompanied by what it was that inspired her at the time. Sometimes, the inspiration from an element underlying a movie or novel concept, or voiced by a movie character.




Written on October 27, 2013, for the October 20 entry for 365 Days of Flash Fiction, this piece was inspired by the idea of hunting a more difficult kind of prey.


Run, rabbit, run, I think, raising the rifle and taking aim. My prey does an odd little bounce, stops and skits three steps sideways, but this time I’m ready. I guess no-one ever told him an evasive pattern should be unpredictable. I’m ready to nail him as he starts to run forward, but a heavy weight slams between my shoulders, smashing my face into the rifle-butt. The shot goes wild, but I don’t really care. I’m too busy trying to roll, bring the damn gun up to take down whatever, whoever, has just tried to push my face in the dirt. Only problem is, they’ve got a boot in the middle of my back and the muzzle of something unpleasant against the back of my head. Guess now’s not a good time. I smell cinnamon and apples. I don’t need to hear them say it. “Your hunting days are done.”

No comments:

Post a Comment